Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ever since my third Harlequin American, I've been writing cowboy or rancher heroes, and I couldn't be happier. There's something incredibly sexy about a good looking man in a well-worn Stetson hat and faded jeans. A man who sits a horse with the same ease and comfort he does a kitchen chair. A man who knows how to hold a gal close as he two-steps her across the dance floor.

When my editor first approached me about being one of the authors in THE CODYS: FIRST FAMILY OF RODEO, I was understandably thrilled. I got to write about cowboys AND rodeos. What could be better? That's like getting to meet Brad Pitt at his newest film premier AND sit next to him during the showing (forgive me if I have Brad Pitt on the brain, my hero in DUSTY: WILD COWBOY is supposed to look like a young Brad Pitt - check out the cover, I think he does :)

Okay, I digress. Back to rodeos. I've been a fan of them since I was a teenager, when it wasn't cool to like anything having to do with cowboys. But I was a horse lover, a horse owner, and lived in Scottsdale, a town that once claimed to be the west's most western town (that is SO not true now ). I didn't care if none of my friends wanted to go to the rodeo, I went anyway. The biggest rodeo in Scottsdale was and still is the Parade del Sol.



Speaking of my mom, she read an advance copy of DUSTY: WILD COWBOY and loved it. Okay, she's my mom, and she loves all my book. That's not much of a recommendation. But she complimented me on my research and, I have to say, that pleased me because I did a lot for the book.

Watching rodeos is one thing. To be as accurate as possible, I had to immerse myself in the sport, particularly calf roping. Yes, it was hard and required a great deal of personal sacrifice, but I spent many hours in the company of cowboys and ropers, learning everything I could. When I wasn't getting lost in just watching them, that is .

Here's a couple pictures of the Payson Rodeo, which is the oldest rodeo in Arizona. I took them last summer when my friend and I went there to watch cowboys...I mean, research my book.





And here's a couple pictures from when I went to my first ever Professional Bull Riding event a few months ago, which wasn't quite like a regular rodeo but still fun.



As the saying goes, you should love what you write about. And I have to say, I do love cowboys. Wait, I think I already said that!

Warmest wishes,

Cathy McDavid

PS - Check out the other books in THE CODYS: FIRST FAMILY OF RODEO continuity. I had a blast participating and know you'll enjoy reading about Dusty's five siblings: Walker, Dex, Mark, Elly, and Jesse

7 comments:

  1. Cathy

    I envy you living around cowboys--a woman's dream (sigh). I went to college in Tucson and lived in Phoenix for 4 years and in Colorado for three years and Texas for seven so I've seen my share of cowboys in pickups and on horses--I always give them a double-take!

    Marin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rodeos too, though they're not as common in the South as, say, truck pulls and demolition derbies. :) My next trip West, I want to go to the Cody Night Rodeo and eventually Cheyenne Frontier Days

    For research on my book, I attended a PRCA rodeo in Corpus Christi, Texas, and did research on big ranches by going to the King Ranch in Kingsville, Texas. I was already in Texas on business so made it into a research trip too. Even got a day at the beach out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post,Cathy.

    Do you know just yesterday a man I know said,
    "How do you know so much about the rodeo?" With a laugh I told him it was all in the research.

    He needs to read your blog so he can understand. My Walker is a steer wrestler. I have an old friend who's been a steer wrestler for years. He taught me so many little things so vital to the sport. And of course all the videos I watched, ect, ect. ect.

    I've been so interested in the different venues, I'm hooked on bullriding. Watch all the time on TV with my 8 year old grandson. Fun, Fun, Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to reach Dusty's story. I love a good cowboy and rodeo story. It goes way back to when I fell in love with a cowboy in Arizona just for tipping his hat at me from across the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the hats and jeans, Cathy, though I think it's as much about the boots. Guys just walk different in those boots... *sigh*

    Very much looking forward to this whole series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just about finished reading Dusty's story, I love cowboys and rodeos. I was 21 when I fell in love with this cowboy, he was 26 and he rode bull's and he took me to about 6 rodeos's in one weekend. It was one crazy summer, I took lots of pictures, of course by the end of the summer we fell out of love, but were still friends and I still love books about cowboys and rodeo's and ranches, Texas, and Wyoming. I can't wait to read about Ellie and Jesse and Mark's story. I want to read other books buy you, this my first book that I've read of yours.I've got to find more of your books at the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marin, don't know if I told you but my daughter is starting at UofA in a couple of weeks. She graduated GCC and is transferring down to finish her degree.

    Trish, you need to come to AZ. We have rodeos all year all over the state.

    Thanks, Carol, for reading Dusty's story and sharing with me that you enjoyed it. Email anytime at: cathymcdavid@yahoo.com. I love tos tay in touch with readers.

    ReplyDelete