Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Family Brawls


When the editors told me that the hero in my book, Dexter, and his twin, Dusty, team-roped together I knew what team roping was—I've been to a few rodeos in my day and had watched the event several times. But I wasn't as familiar with the difference between the header (Dusty) and the heeler (Dexter) http://rodeo.about.com/
gives a brief overview of the event.

Team roping is the only team event in rodeo. It grew out of ranch chores from the past. Larger cattle would have to be immobilized for branding and doctoring by two ropers due to their strength and size. Today, team roping is a timed event that relies on the cooperation and skill of the cowboys and their horses. The two cowboys involved in team roping have unique goals. The first, known as the header, does just what the name implies and ropes the head of the cattle. The other cowboy, known as the heeler, ropes the heels or legs. Team roping is great event to watch due to the amazing coordination and cooperation of all the competitors. Team members must work well with each other and with their horses respectively.

American Romance is all about family. When family dynamics suddenly change in a dramatic way, everyone's lives are thrown into chaos. What made writing Dexter: Honorable Cowboy (July 2010) so much fun was knowing that while the twins were supposed to cooperate and work together to prepare for their next rodeo, the exact opposite was happening. Dusty split and left town after his old flame returned and dropped a bombshell on him. Dexter was so ticked off at Dusty and confused about his feelings for his brother's old flame that any practicing they did was ripe with tension and frustration. Of course, any cowboy story worth its salt includes an all-out brawl.

In the end Dexter and Dusty butt heads and throw a few punches. Like true brothers, especially twins, they resolve their differences and make nice.

So how about you….do you like an occasional family brawl in your western romances?
Marin

4 comments:

  1. I don't mind them in fiction, as long as things are resolved satisfactorily for everyone in the end. There's something about siblings, especially ones close in age, that invites fights. I know my sister and I got into our share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trish

    My brother and I fought too, even drew blood a few times but we're closer than ever
    now :-)

    Marin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I do like the family brawls because they are more realistic than the family getting along. And I always love when brothers give each other a hard time about their love interest or about falling in love. Sigh.

    But I agree with Trish, things need to be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jullie

    Thanks for stopping by! I agree with you-- it's more realistic when siblings or family members don't always get along.

    Marin

    ReplyDelete