Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Herding Instincts

I have to admit, I was laughing out loud as I read Pam's post on horses a couple of weeks ago.  So true, every last bit of it! 

Horses do have their own agendas, but are usually willing to accept ours, if we ask the right way.  Recently, my husband--a great guy but not a horseman--wanted to move my American Cream Draft horses from one place to another.  He didn't have a lead rope handy, so he tried grabbing a fist full of mane and pulling.  These ladies weigh about 1500 lbs each--not exactly portable!  DH tried pulling one, then the other, without success. 

I walked out and got behind the girls.  "Sssssss," I said, waving my hands a little.  "Walk on." 

Lucy and Joy looked over their shoulders at me like, "Do we hafta?"

"Come on," I said, with a shooing motion.  "Sssss.  Walk."

You could see each of them give a sigh.  And then they ambled, at their slow, steady draft horse pace, back through the gate and into the pasture.

"How'd you do that?" DH demanded.

I just smiled.  There are some things only a horse lover knows.

*******


American Cream Draft Horses are a breed developed in Iowa from the foals of one mare--Old Granny.  Her babies all had pink skin, a cream-colored coat, white mane and tail and golden eyes.  Cream Drafts were used on farms in the Midwest and in Pennsylvania by the Amish in the first part of the 20th century.  World War II and the advent of the tractor cut back the draft horse population severely, until now there are less than 400 Creams in the world.  I'm hoping to breed my mares and build the numbers for these beautiful, peaceful horses.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this funny anecdote. I envy you
    your knowledge of horses and the wonderful life it must be for you. Kind of like I envy the Cody family for their love of horses and the rodeo. It's like a private fraternity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you had horses. What beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl--your horses are beautiful! I hope your breeding plans for them are successful.

    Marin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for admiring my girls, ladies. I think they're special. Not exactly rodeo stock, though.

    Becky, I know what you mean about a "private fraternity" of horse people. I spent 40 years envying that life, never expecting to live it myself. Then my daughter wanted to take lessons, and everything changed!

    ReplyDelete