Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Western Decor

A few years ago, I spent an afternoon and night in Cody, Wyoming, while driving back from seeing my sister in Washington State. I'd spent the previous day driving around one of my favorite places, Yellowstone National Park. While in Cody, I was able to pop into a couple of shops and purchase a few comfy, fleecy items at the Sierra Outlet. But it was the western decor and art shops where I could have done some serious damage, making my credit card scream for mercy. It was this trip that helped inspire the Tangled Antlers Gallery in Elly: Cowgirl Bride, where Elly showcases her photographs.

I have always loved western and Native American-themed home decor. I have touches of it in my guest bedroom with some art I bought at the Red Earth Native American Festival in Oklahoma City a number of years ago. The wall is even painted a color called suede. But, wow, would I love to have one of those gorgeous western-style homes with a huge picture window looking out on the mountains. It'd be filled with big, comfortable furniture in browns and reds; large art pieces that captured the West; some antler chandeliers and cowboy lamps. Stuff like I found at a site called LoneStar Western Decor. The gorgeous chair and ottoman above are from their collection. Quick, someone give me a shopping spree! :) And remember, Christmas is just around the corner!

If I could have unlimited spending and a large truck (we're talking tractor-trailer rig here) to haul everything in, there would be three stops I'd definitely make -- one in Cody, one in Jackson, Wyoming, and one in Santa Fe, New Mexico. A few years ago, I was in Santa Fe for a work conference and had an afternoon to walk around the city. I loved it! I went to museums and shops filled with Native clothing, jewelry and home and lawn decor. And I have long loved the Southwestern, adobe homes, ones with an inner tiled courtyard with a fountain in the middle.

Why am I not rich again? :)

Well, until I am, I'll just have to window shop when I'm out West and peruse magazines like Cowboys & Indians.

Do you like western decor? If not, what is your favorite kind of home decor? What speaks to you and who you are?

10 comments:

  1. Great post, Trish. I do like western decor, but only a touch or hint of it. Sometimes folks go overboard on it for my tastes. I have to admit to always wanting a bronze statue of a cowboy on a horse. I saw exactly what I wanted in Carmel, but it was out of my price range. It'd make a great gift for my husband who's an old cowboy at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had more room, I'd love some big stuffed furniture. LOL Not gonna happen. I love the idea of your large mountain home with the mountain views. When I was five, I lived in Phoenix, AZ, and loved going with my parents into the desert and the mountains for day trips.

    Plus, I've always loved cowboys--from Roy Rogers forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish--I love western decor, too. After living in Texas two different times, Arizona and Colorado I've got all kinds of western touches throughout my home. My favorite piece of furniture is my Texas Ranger desk that was custom made in a furniture store in Downtown Dallas. It's been great inspiration for all my cowboy stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jo! It's funny that you should mention the bronze statue of a cowboy on a horse. In the Codys series, we have something like that, a large one, that is the centerpiece of the entry into the home of the matriarch and patriarch of the Cody clan.

    I know what you mean about the overboard. There is too much of a good thing, but I wouldn't mind my entire house in this type of decor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie-Nicole, how did I not know you lived in Arizona at one time? That would be awesome. I love the desert too. It's beautiful in its starkness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marin, that desk sounds awesome. I'm working on another cowboy series right now, a trilogy set in the Texas Hill Country. I just started book 2, and the hero makes custom furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love Western decor, but unless I had one of the homes you describe, I would not use it throughout the house. Right now it's in our family room and my husband's office because our home is traditional architecture. I have eclectic tastes, so the living/dining room are traditonal with oriental trim, our bedroom is Italian provincial, etc. I know, pick one, right? But I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Trish! I think western decor suits you to a T. I'm more of a beach girl myself, though the mountains (I'm talking Rockies, now) are awesome. But my favorite decor is cottage-style, with lots of art in the "primitive" style. That's what I'd load my rig up with if I had the moolah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Trish,

    I think our home decor right now is bits of this and that. Some marble top tables left from long ago generations mixed with respectable couches and an old trunk. But any room in my house will have bovine. Yes, it may not be western per say but, I have my cows everywhere. My long horns are above the bed with my spurs hanging on one end. Yes, this cowgirl takes off her spurs for only one thing. wink wink. Beautiful photographs by the way. Thanks for sharing.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Western decor. In fact, I love the West. I have my kitchen looking very Western. I love traveling to the West.

    ReplyDelete